What we look for in the sustainable streetwear brands & products we’ll soon be carrying with the upcoming official launch of eKONIQ
Our goal at eKONIQ is to be the world’s go to place to shop for streetwear while being 100% environmentally friendly. From the brands & products we carry, to our packaging and shipping, you can have the confidence that you’re not only improving your style by shopping with us but, you’re doing it sustainably and making a positive impact on the world.
With that being said, we want to clarify and be transparent with you what we look for in the brands/products we carry and what makes them “sustainable”.
There is 5 criteria points we look for in brands/products:
This means that products, materials, and resources are maintained in the economy for as long as possible and minimizing waste. Garments that are recycled, reused, repaired, and continuously work toward zero waste throughout their entire supply chain.
- Garments made-to-order or made in very small quantities
- Garments that are zero waste or reuse scrap fabrics/materials
- Use of recycled or up cycled fabrics
- Ensured to be fabrics that are recyclable
- Garments that can be worn in many different ways
2. Water Conservation
This means that water is sustainably managed in all stages of the supply chain. Products that have been closely monitored throughout their production to make sure that fresh water sources are not compromised
- Fabrics that are less fresh water intensive, such as linen or hemp
- Garments that have had water intensive stages cut out of the supply chain by using recycled or up-cycled fabrics
- Garments that employ less water intensive dyeing and treatment methods or minimize this as much as possible
3. Pollution Management
This means that the amount of pollution created and released into the environment is significantly lower than the industry average. Brands that do this well show awareness of pollution related issues in their supply chains and make a clear effort to minimize the use of chemicals that can cause water, air, and soil pollution.
- Opting for certified organic fabrics
- Using natural materials that do not require fertilizers or pesticides to grow
- Avoidance of dyeing/treatment of fabrics using toxic methods
- Avoiding fabrics that release micro plastic when washed
- Ensuring suppliers have proper waste water treatment systems
- Cutting out polluting stages of the supply chain by using deadstock or up cycled fabrics
This means that information is disclosed about all stages of production that a garment goes through. Brands which do this well provide detailed information about all stages of their supply chain and evidence of any certifications that they may hold.
- Third-party certifications that provide insight into the supply chain
- Provide informative behind the scenes content
- Providing specific production information for each product, such as a breakdown of the production of the product, stages of production, how the product is sustainable at each stage
5. Animal Welfare
This means that welfare for animals is a priority and not harmed during the production process. Brands which consider this are clear and transparent about their use of of animal-derived materials in their production. They avoid using any materials that require the harming/killing of animals. If they are to use animal-derived materials they make sure that their suppliers comply with strict animal welfare regulations
- Completely avoiding the use of animal-derived materials
- Pledge to only sell vegan products (avoid leather, fur, etc.)
- Hold animal welfare certifications
- Use only recycled or up cycled animal-derived materials
Together we can make an impact. We in the streetwear community can be leaders. Leaders of change and innovation. Together we can change our industry’s reputation from wasteful to sustainable. Make sure you subscribe to our newsletter to stay up to date and be the first to know when we announce our partnered brands and when eKONIQ officially launches. COMING SOON. In the meantime you can shop sustainably by checking out of curated collection of vintage clothing.
Be the change, be iconic, better yet… be #eKONIQ